2016 Edition now available! Includes a brand new appendix for corporate telecommuters and their managers, as well as up-to-date information telecommuting, “cloud” computing and collaboration, co-working spaces, and more.
The Home Office That Works! Make Working at Home a Success—A Guide for Entrepreneurs and Telecommuters by Dr. Joseph Webb and Richard Romano is a practical step by step guide to setting up and working in a home office. You’ll learn how to manage time, distractions, and the people (and pets) in your life. It’s for…
- students who need some extra income
- at-home moms who need time flexibility
- full-time employees who want to spend more time with their families
- retirees who want to stay busy
- the downsized and laid off, anxious to start something new
- entrepreneurs eager to escape cubicle life
Many books explain how to start a home business, but this one explains what it’s really like to work at home—and how to get things done!
More and more people are working from home, and more companies are allowing or ordering workers to telecommute. Working at home sounds like the best of both worlds—work and home—but it requires discipline and planning.
- How do you manage it?
- Where do you begin?
- How do you get others to realize that you’re really working?
Some of the topics included are:
- Can you legally run your business from your home?
- What’s the ideal location within your home, condo, or apartment for your home office?
- What technologies can improve your productivity? What are the best ways to keep your costs low?
- How do you manage time and deal with distractions? Find out why the most important amenity in your home office may actually be an office door!
- How do you maintain a professional appearance to colleagues and clients?
- What’s the best way to handle client meetings and conference calls?
- What are the marketing and networking opportunities for home-based entrepreneurs?
- How do you manage finances and billing? Tax planning? Health and other insurance?
- What happens if you need to hire staff? Where should they work?
- How do you work from home and still stay connected to the outside world?
The Home Office That Works! includes dozens of personal examples of some of the unexpected real-life challenges that have cropped up in the authors’ own home-working lives. Readers can benefit from the self-evaluation questions, to-do lists, and an extensive checklist that makes the office-to-home transition easier. If you want to avoid that I-wish-I-had known-that-when-I-started feeling, you can benefit from the experiences of the authors and the other home office professionals they write about.
The Home Office That Works! is informative, entertaining, and an indispensable guide to work-at-home life for novices and home office veterans alike.